Head of Policy Analysis and Strategy
Christophe Bellmann is the Head of Policy Analysis and Strategy at the Forum on Trade, Environment and the SDGs. He is a Visiting Fellow at the Institute of International Trade (IIT) of the University of Adelaide, an Associate Fellow at Chatham House, and a member of the Academic Advisory Council of the Trade Policy Training Centre in Africa (TRAPCA), Arusha, Tanzania. Since 2014 he also serves as adviser to the group of least developed countries (LDCs) and that of the ACP countries (Africa, Caribbean, Pacific) in WTO negotiations. His work focuses on trade and environment, climate change, clean energy and the circular economy; agriculture and food security; oceans and fisheries; trade, development and structural transformation; industrial policy; and multilateral and regional trade negotiations.
Prior to joining TESS, Mr. Bellmann was a Senior Policy Advisor at the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) and the head of programmes and Senior Resident Research Associate at the International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development (ICTSD). Over the course of his career, he has worked in different capacities for various international organizations including FAO, UNCTAD, the OECD, the WTO and the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC).
He holds a master's degree in international relations from the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (IHEID) in Geneva. Mr. Bellmann has published over 60 articles and papers and edited 9 books on the trade and sustainable development interface. He is fluent in English, French and Spanish.
- Deere Birkbeck, C., Sugathan, M., Bellmann, C., & Souza Campos Rodrigues, L. (2023). Trends in trade flows across the life cycle of plastics: Preliminary Review. Forum on Trade, Environment, & the SDGs (TESS).
- Bellmann, C. (2022). Trade and climate change in the World Trade Organization. Forum on Trade, Environment & the SDGs (TESS).
- Bellmann, C. (2022). Trade and sustainability in the agricultural sector: Options for multilateral trade cooperation. Forum on Trade, Environment & the SDGs (TESS).
- Bellmann, C., Deere Birkbeck, C., Kettunen, M., & Sugathan, M. (2022). Trade and environment at the World Trade Organization: State of play and entry points. Forum on Trade, Environment & the SDGs (TESS).
- Bellmann, C. & Sugathan, M. (2022). Promoting and facilitating trade in environmental goods and services: Lessons from regional trade agreements. Forum on Trade, Environment & the SDGs (TESS).
- Bellmann, C. (2021). The circular economy and trade, options for the World Trade Organization. International Chamber of Commerce.
- Dekens, J., Hammill, A., Hoffmann, D., & Bellmann, C. (2021). Leveraging trade to support climate adaptation in developing countries. International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD).
- Bellmann, C. & van der Ven, C. (2020). Greening regional trade agreements on non-tariff measures through technical barriers to trade and regulatory co-operation. OECD Trade and Environment Working Papers, No. 2020/04, OECD Publishing.
- Bellmann, C., Lee, B., & Hepburn, J. (2019). Delivering sustainable food and land use systems: The role of international trade. Hoffmann Centre for Sustainable Resource Economy, Chatham House.
- Bellmann, C. Abdel Latif, A., & Hepburn, J. (2011). Advancing sustainable development in global trade and multilateral negotiations. Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies.
We believe in investing in people who are committed and passionate. Check our employment and consulting opportunities.