Webinar: Nature-positive trade for sustainable development 2030
Alongside, in the increasing focus on environment and sustainable development at the WTO presents an opportunity to explore how the trade, biodiversity and sustainable development agendas could be more mutually supportive and where trade policy could support the delivery of GBF 2030.
This webinar provided updates on the discussions on trade and biodiversity in the context of the GBF 2030 and the WTO, including the outcomes of the 4th Open-Ended Working Group (OEWG) on the GBF 2030 and 12th WTO Ministerial Conference (MC12), both taking place in June. Building on these updates, it explored opportunities and possible next steps for forging a comprehensive and mutually supportive vision for trade, biodiversity, and sustainable development towards 2030. Taking place alongside the UN High Level Political Forum (HLPF) on Sustainable Development (5 – 15 July), the webinar was a timely occasion to reflect these opportunities and next steps in the context of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, especially with life under water and on land (SDGs 14 and 15) being part of the in-depth review for implementation in 2022.
Convening over 70 interested participants from permanent Missions, international organizations, private businesses, and civil society, this webinar provided a space for exchange of information and views between communities of experts to advance conversations around trade, biodiversity, and the sustainable development goals.
This online discussion is a part of the webinar series on “Biodiversity and Trade” by UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) Global BioTrade Initiative and International Trade Centre (ITC), co-organised by UNCTAD, ITC, UN Environment Programme (UNEP), Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), WTO, and Forum on Trade, Environment & the SDGs (TESS).
Please see the recording below:
- Bianca LISBOA Da CAMARA BRASIL, Program Manager on Business Engagement, Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD)
- Daniel RAMOS, Legal Officer / Trade & Environment Division, World Trade Organization (WTO)
- Maria Daniela GARCIA FREIRE, Deputy Permanent Representative, Permanent Mission of Ecuador to the WTO
- Claude FROMAGEOT, Sustainable Development Director, Yves Rocher Foundation
- Marianne KETTUNEN, Senior Policy Advisor and Head of Partnerships, Forum on Trade, Environment & the SDGs (TESS)
- Beatriz FERNANDEZ, Associate Programme Management Officer / Environment and Trade Hub, UN Environment Programme (UNEP)