The work of TESS focuses on the intersection of trade policies and the following seven themes at the nexus of trade, environment and sustainable development:
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Sustainable agriculture, biodiversity loss, and natural resources
- Plastic pollution
- Sustainable production and consumption, circular economy
- Trade in environmental goods and services
- Aid for trade, trade finance, and sustainability
- Trade and environmental technology transfer
Cross-cutting areas of work for TESS will include green trade classifications; international sustainability standards; sustainable and resilient supply chains; and implementation of trade provisions in multilateral environmental agreements (MEAs).
Across its activities, TESS will work to address linkages between environmental topics; the importance of the social and economic dimensions of sustainability; and the relevance of the environment and trade agenda to intersecting priorities, such as public health.
The activities of TESS will focus primarily on multilateral and global-level agenda setting processes, while seeking to support, inform and learn from work underway through regional and bilateral processes.